Monday, 6 August 2007

Survivor

It’s been a discouraging few months on the allotment. Our soil needs work; nothing can grow in it. Potatoes, beans, sweetcorn, they’ve all failed in the face of such adversity. But our humble courgette has clung on.

Courgette on plantI never saw courgettes as survivors. I’d reserved my admiration for root vegetables, like potatoes or turnips. It’s like I equated dirt with muscle tone or something. Well, like the good book says, the meek shall inherit the earth.

Our courgette is flourishing, basking in our undivided attention. Its fruit may be underweight, but it’s our firstborn.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful courgette! I hope you have something special planned to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had it boiled, alongside a hearty dinner of sausages and potatoes. It was mighty fine.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.