Thursday, 11 October 2007

Courgettes storm first AU Awards

Courgettes led the field at the the first annual Allotment Underground Awards last night, picking up 'best crop'. Initially touted as a favourite, the plant had been eclipsed by a late sweetcorn comeback.

Here are the full results from the night:

Best crop: courgettes

Judged declared: "A rousing debut in a lacklustre field."

Best pest defence: beer

Judges praised its stunning opening night, when 85 slugs were dispatched.

Best recycling: rabbit bedding

Widely regarded as an ingenious entry, head and shoulders above the competition.

Best blog: Soilman's Allotment Blog

A surprise win, beating off stiff competition from Horticultural.

Best book: The Allotment Keeper's Handbook by Jane Perrone

One judge remarked, "It's rare to find a book which educates and entertains in equal measure, a worthy addition to the bookshelf of any allotmenteer."

The turnout for the awards was small, but the organisers remain upbeat, convinced the ceremony will become a fixture of the allotment calendar.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I found this blog from the facebook allotment forum. I've added you to my blogroll at www.bean-sprouts.blogspot.com. I've also subscribed to your RSS feed so I can keep track of your latest posts.

    I'd appreciate a return link, but of course it's totally up to you.

    Cheers,

    Mel Rimmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mel, nice to meet you. I'm always on the look out for fellow allotment bloggers, I've added you to my blogroll. Look forward to hearing about your garlic inventions.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya James
    Only just spotted this, and am immensely flattered. As I think I may have remarked before, you are DEFINITELY too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wouldn't have won if you didn't deserve it Soilman.

    Sadly there's no cash prizes. Maybe I'll get some sponsorship next year :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.