Monday, 21 January 2008

Topsy-turvy

A potato in a box. Same potato, two different poses. Transformation by 180 degrees, I think they call it. Take a look, I'll explain later.

Last week I waltzed into a garden centre, with the confidence of a man who belongs in such places, and picked up some seed potatoes. Funny things seed potatoes. They're seeds but they look just like potatoes. So what do they grow seed potatoes from? Confused.

Now I'm chitting. A new skill to add to my allotment CV (I also dig, mulch, and sweat). The deal is that you leave the seed potatoes out in the daylight and they start sprouting limbs. Then, when they've warmed up and are gathering steam, your transfer them to the plot and they run amok.

My adventures in chitting have led me to discover a rather fascinating vegetable fact. A potato has a top and a bottom. I've venture to say I've eaten thousands of potatoes in my life, but somehow this rudimentary anatomy has escaped me.

Apparently the end with the most eyes is the top (that's the left photo above). The end that's not the top is the bottom. There you go. Amaze your friends with this trivia next time they put spuds on your plate.

I explained all this to daughter. She's taking great delight in picking up each potato in turn, counting the eyes, and pronouncing a top and bottom. A useful life skill, I think.

2 comments:

  1. You have a very nice blog, good post...keep up the good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sorina, it's very kind of you to say so.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.