Wednesday, 12 March 2008

Rain stopped play

I'm not a groundsman. I'm not a builder. I don't trim trees, tarmac roads, or clean windows. I shovel data. I sit in an air conditioned office, under electric lights, peering at characters on the screen.

I don't do weather. No need to call off the typing because it's a bit wet. Don't stop production because the ground it too frosty. Even my leisure activities are situated indoors.

Photograph by Rigmarole, used under Creative Commons license

But lately I work with an eye on the weather forecast. I count the days since the last deluge, and eagerly await the promised weekend sun. Rumours of frost start the klaxons wailing.

This is work in the real world. The weather reigns over my allotment programme. It sure beats computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.